This is a 1 semester class and is worth .5 credit. Open to grades 9-12.
This class will look at the different aspects of coaching and officiating sports. Students can be officially registered to become an MHSAA official if they meet the requirements. Sports to be taught include: basketball, volleyball, football, baseball, and softball. Other sports can be explored based on interest. The class will spend two days each week in a classroom setting and the other three in the gym. It is a 1 semester class and is worth .5 credit.
- Create a document that details what a typical high school varsity coach has to plan for.
- Create their own coaching philosophy and be able to support it with sound coaching practice.
- Learn to understand the rules of sport.
- Learn how to properly officiate.
- Learn how to become a registered official.
- Learn to explore and study good coaching strategies and practices.
- Learn to be involved in the community through sport.
- Learn skills that can help them become employed.
- Learn about activities he/she can be involved in during adult life.