Advanced Health and Fitness
This is a 1 semester class and is worth .5 credit. Open to grades 10-12.
In order to take this class, students must have already completed the normal health class and a physical education class. The objective of this class is for each student to demonstrate and understanding of the human body and how their health and fitness can impact every part of their lives.
- Gain knowledge in various health topics and develop an understanding of the principles of training, exercise, flexibility, cardiovascular fitness, and the connection to overall health.
- Further study the relationship of their personal behaviors and the impact on their overall health.
- Apply and demonstrate their understanding of the material in a laboratory type setting with the physical education department.
- Integrate and apply lessons learned from the classroom into an organized workout system to develop a life-long fitness plan.
- Use knowledge gained in health, family consumer science, physical education, science, math, and language arts to help plan and develop a nutrition and exercise plan, as well as use the laboratory results to construct a detailed training program and track progress.
- Work throughout the semester to write and review their progress using physical testing results and calculating nutritional needs.
- Review their progress weekly and use their test results to form personal goals.
Introduction to Health Occupations
This is a 1 semester class and is worth .5 credit. Open to grades 11-12.
This class, if completed with an 80% or above, grants students 3 credits toward their LCC education. Health is a prerequisite and it;s recommnended that students have taken biology. This course introduces students to the health care industry, including medical ethics, trends in health care, and exploration of career options. It includes introduction to medical terminology, anatomy and physiology, vital sign measurement, math used for conversions, basic cardiac life support skills, and universal precautions/blood borne pathogen training. After successful completion of training, students will be certified in CPR and Basic Cardiac Life Support.
- Introduce the students to the world of health care and to explore the many career opprotunities available
- To become knowledgeable about medical terminology, the body structure, and patient health care.